YES! Yes you can... The SouthernXC series is all about a holistic approach to mountain biking! Those wanting to take on their first ever event will be surprised at how friendly and welcoming the event organisers are, how nice the elite riders are and just what a great atmosphere there is to make sure you enjoy your experience and you will want to come back.
E3Coach are working with the Southern XC series not just to give great on-the-day commentary but to provide information to riders about how to take part such as how to prepare. We also will aim to dismiss some myths and to almost provide you with an on the day guide to your event by having a rider talk you through the event, then ride it with you and talk it through after. With the SouthernXC and E3coach there are no silly questions, we want you to ask away so you can feel happy you can turn up and take part. Below are some example questions we will answer on here for you: • Do I need to wear lycra? - No you don’t need to, you just need to wear comfortable active clothing, normally if you wear long trousers, make sure they are tight at the ankle to avoid getting caught in working parts of the bike.
• Do I need those funny clip in pedals? - No you don’t. Just a normal set of flat pedals is fine. It’s all about you being confident. Please ask us what the gains are from clips and we will explain!
• Do I have to be fast? - No your beginner race gives you a choice of how many laps you do so you can take your time and complete one or try and get two done, it's all in your control.
• Will there be big technical sections? - Only if you want them... Basically there are choices of different sections, there is always an easier route which avoids the harder technicalities. These will be explained by E3Coach before every event.
• Won't I get in the way of the faster riders? - If a faster rider is approaching you, they will give several calls to say 'rider coming' then they will say on which side they are passing, you can just slow up or stop and they will go by. 99% of the time they are all polite if you get a disgruntled rider pass you just let us know.
• Do I have to make my tyres tubeless and what is that? - Firstly no you don’t, tubeless is literally a way to not use inner tubes and allows the tyre to self-heal punctures using a liquid in the tyre which goes solid when it fills a puncture. Please ask either Southern XC or E3coach for more info, or you can talk to the sponsor Vittoria tyres at the event.
• Do my tyres need to be inflated the same as my road bike? - MTB run pressures a lot lower, can be 20-30PSI (road 100-120PSI) for MTB you want a nice gripy foot print on the floor to help with traction, if your tyres are overly inflated then you will find you can slip around more. It will depend on the course and conditions so best to visit the Vittoria stand on the day. We have given you some of the regular questions, please feel free to email in and ask your questions and we can add it to the list for others to use.
We hope your training is going well... All the best and see you at a Southern XC soon.